Skip Navigation

On-Campus Employment for Degree and Non-Degree Exchange Students

J-1 students are allowed to work on-campus part time up to 20 hours per week with permission from the OIS while school is in session and full-time in the summer (if summer is a vacation term for your academic program) and during recognized vacation periods. If your program requires you to be enrolled during the summer term, it is not considered a vacation period and therefore you would be restricted to part time on campus employment.

J1 students registering in coursework full time in the following category are allowed to apply for an on-campus employment.

  • J1 students in a degree program who do not receive a university stipend.
  • J1 students in non-degree exchange students.

J1 students receiving a university stipend are considered to have fulfilled the max of 20 hours/week therefore they are not eligible for an additional on-campus employment. They have to apply for an academic training instead.

J1 students must receive permission from an OIS advisor PRIOR to beginning any on-campus employment. Acceptable employment includes: work required by a scholarship, assistantship or fellowship, work in the libraries, computer centers, administrative offices, and work performed on Hopkins’ premises for an outside contractor or firm as long as the employer provides direct services to students.

J1 students must continue to engage in full course of study each term except for official school breaks. You will no longer eligible for on-campus employment once you complete degree requirements.

On campus employment authorization is valid for max of 12 months at a time. J1 students must reapply each year (based on letter showing end date) at least 30 days before current authorization expires. You must apply for on campus employment authorization for EACH on-campus job.

To Apply for On-Campus Employment Permission

  1. Get a signed offer letter from the potential employer that includes the following information:
    • name of employer
    • address of employment
    • hours per week (if you will work more than part-time during school breaks, make sure that is included in the letter)
    • job title
    • start date and end date (if known)
  2. Submit the request for on-campus employment using the following steps:
    • Go to
    • Click “Login” under “Active JHED Login”
    • Login with your JHED ID and password
    • Once logged in, click on “J-1 Student Services” in the menu on the left, then click on “Submit a Request”
      • Select “Other” option from drop down and add “on-campus employment request” in the explanation box
    • You will be required to upload offer letter as a PDF file
  3. OIS will review the letter and authorize your on-campus employment in SEVIS
  4. OIS will provide a letter to you that confirms your on-campus employment authorization