Skip Navigation

Extending your DS-2019

Students in J-1 status have been granted permission to stay in the U.S. for “D/S,” which stands for “Duration of Status.” This means that you have permission to stay in the U.S. until the expiration date on your Form DS-2019 or the completion of your program of study, whichever comes first, plus a 30 day grace period following the completion of your degree program (plus any authorized period of academic training after completion of your program). You must be pursuing a full course of study and making normal progress towards completing the course of study indicated on your Form DS-2019. If you are not going to be able to finish your program by the end date on your Form DS-2019, you must apply for an extension of your DS-2019 in order to remain in lawful status in the U.S. Please remember that you are not allowed to work after the expiration date on your DS-2019 (including on-campus employment) without additional work authorization (AT).

*Visiting Students doing research, including research trainees in SOM, should refer to Visiting Students section of the website.

To Apply For an Extension

  1. Complete the Extension Request Form
  2. Complete the Health Insurance Pledge
  3. Obtain your most recent form I-94 arrival /departure form.  To obtain the I-94, visit the Customs and Border Protection Website.  
  4. Gather Documentation of Financial Support in the appropriate amount. Refer to the Estimated International Student Expenses for your specific academic program. 
  5. Submit all materials to the OIS:
    • Go to
    • Click “Login” under “Active JHED Login”
    • Login with your JHED ID and password
    • Once logged in, click on “J-1 Student Services” in the menu on the left, then click on “Submit a Request”
    • You will be required to upload all the documents as one PDF file


You should submit an extension request no later than 30 days prior to the end date on your current DS-2019.  Late requests will jeopardize your lawful J-1 status in the U.S.

Changes in Degree Level

If you are changing between degree levels (i.e. Masters to PhD) please ensure that this is noted on your request form.