Skip Navigation

J-1 student status is a non-immigrant classification which allows you to remain in the U.S. as long as you are a properly registered full-time student and maintain your J-1 student status.

Certain international students admitted to eligible degree programs within the Johns Hopkins University will be issued DS-2019 Certificates of Eligibility for J-1 student status if the student is financially sponsored by a government or international organization that requires the student to be in J-1 status.  J-1 Students must have a substantial portion of their funding from a source other than personal or family funds. The spouse and dependent children of a J-1 student are eligible for J-2 dependent status.