Skip Navigation

It is the responsibility of each student to be familiar with the immigration requirements related to their status. Following the guidelines below will help you to maintain your lawful J-1 Status while in the U.S.  Below is a summary of basic guidelines for the students sponsored under JHU J-1 program, for more detailed information or for specific questions related to your status please contact an OIS advisor.

Basic Guidelines for Maintaining J-1 Status

  1. Maintain a valid passport
    Contact your country’s embassy in the U.S. for information about renewing or extending your passport while in the U.S.
  2. Verify information on your I-94
    Every time you re-enter the U.S. in J-1 status. make sure your I-94 says “J-1 D/S”. If your I-94 has any other information than this, please contact OIS. You can retrieve your electronic I-94 here.
  3. Keep your local address updated
    You must update your address within 10 days of a move. For more information, click here.
  4. Keep your DS-2019 valid at all times
    You must maintain a valid DS-2019 as it, along with your I-94 card, serves as evidence of your continued legal status. Your DS-2019 should accurately reflect your program of study, program start and end dates, and the source of your financial support at all times. Any changes to personal, academic, or funding information should be updated.
    Submit an application for an extension if the DS-2019 will expire within the next 30 days and you need more time to complete your program of study. The program end date can be found in section 3 of the DS-2019 form. You must also request a new DS-2019 if you change your major or your degree level, e.g. Ph.D. to Master’s.
  5. Attend the school noted on your DS-2019
    You must have a current, valid DS-2019 from the school you are attending. If you transfer from another school to Johns Hopkins, the transfer process must be completed before your academic program begins.
  6. Maintain full-time enrollment
    You must be a full-time registered student each term you are at Johns Hopkins unless you have applied for and received a Reduced Course Load authorization from OIS. You may only count one online course towards your full-time enrollment requirement per term. For more information, click here.
  7. Maintain health insurance coverage
    You must enroll in the JHU student health insurance plan for the duration of your program of study. You and your dependents must maintain health insurance that meets J-1 federal guidelines for the entire length of your stay. JHU student health insurance meets the J-1 federal guidelines. For more information, click here.
  8. Get OIS approval before dropping below a full-time course load or withdrawing from JHU
    If for some reason you must withdraw from your program or you are unable to enroll full-time, you are required to have approval from the OIS before doing so. If OIS is unable to provide a Reduced Course Load authorization, it may be necessary to end your J-1 record, depending on the circumstances. For  more information, click here.
  9. Get a travel endorsement
    Before your departure from the U.S., request a signature for re-entry (commonly referred to as a “travel signature”) from an OIS Advisor. A travel signature is valid for a year from the date signed or the program end date on DS-2019, whichever is earlier. For more information, click here.
  10. Work only with proper employment authorization
    You must receive permission for both on-campus & off-campus employment from OIS prior to accepting any employment.
  11. Request program or school transfer 
    If you wish to move from JHU to another program or school, you will need permission from OIS. You should communicate with your new program or school as soon as you have received acceptance to receive authorization and further instructions. For more information about transferring to new program or school, click here.
  12. Know your grace period after completion
    Students in J-1 status have a 30-day grace period following the end of the program of study or authorized post-completion Academic Training. Actions such as transferring to another program, change of level, or applying for AT must be taken before the end date on DS-2019. Students who will not transfer, change level or begin a period of AT should depart the U.S. by the end of the grace period.