Skip Navigation

F-2 Dependent Family Members

If you are or will be in F-1 status, your legal spouse and children under age 21 may be eligible for F-2 status to accompany you or follow you separately to the U.S. To request a Certificate of Eligibility I-20 for the purpose of inviting family in F-2 status, please complete the Dependent Request Form and submit it along with the required attachments the OIS. A new I-20 form will be prepared for each of your family members.  Additional funding of $600 per month per dependent may be required.

To  Add a Dependent to your SEVIS record

  1. Gather Documentation of Financial Support in the appropriate amount {$600 per month per dependent/$7200 per year per dependent)
  2. Clear copies of passport id page for each dependent
  3. Submit all to the OIS in a timely manner.  To submit your Dependent Request:
  • Go to
  • Click “Login” under “Active JHED Login”
  • Login with your JHED ID and password
  • Once logged in, click on “F-1 Student Services” in the menu on the left, then click on “Add Dependent Request (Add Spouse/Children)” eForm. Submit an eForm for each dependent you are requesting F-2 status for
  • You will be required to upload all the documents as one PDF file

F-2 Prohibition on Work & Full-Time Study

At this time F-2 family members are NOT permitted to work in any capacity.  There is no work authorization permission allowed for F-2 dependent family members. 

F-2 dependent family members are permitted to study part-time.  F-2 dependent family members may NOT pursue full-time degree studies.  If an F-2 family member would like to pursue a full-time degree program they must seek to become an F-1 student prior to beginning any degree program.