Skip Navigation

Extending Your I-20

Students in F-1 status have been granted permission to stay in the U.S. for “D/S,” which stands for “Duration of Status.” This means that you have permission to stay in the U.S. until the expiration date on your Form I-20 or the completion of your program of study, whichever comes first, plus a 60 day grace period following the completion of your degree program (plus any authorized period of optional practical training after completion of your program). You must be pursuing a full course of study and making normal progress towards completing the course of study indicated on your Form I-20. If you are not going to be able to finish your program by the end date on your Form I-20, you must apply for an extension of your I-20 in order to remain in lawful status in the U.S. Please remember that you are not allowed to work after the expiration date on your I-20 (including on-campus employment) without additional work authorization (OPT).

To Apply For an Extension

1. Gather documentation of financial support in the appropriate amount. Refer to the Estimated International Student Expenses for your specific academic program/campus.
?2. Download your I-94 Number.
3. Submit the ‘F-1 Student Extension Request’ eForm in iHopkins. To submit your request:

  • Go to 
  • Click “Login” under “Active JHED Login. 
  • Login with your JHED ID and password.
  • Once logged in, click on “F-1 Student Services” in the menu on the left, then click on “F-1 Student Extension Request” eForm.
  • Enter all required information and upload all required documentation. This eForm will then be routed to your Academic Advisor/Designated Approver for final approval.
  • Once OIS approves the “F-1 Student Extension Request” eForm, you will receive an email notification. Your extended I-20 will be sent electronically.


Requests for extensions may be submitted at any time and should be submitted at least 30 days prior to the end date on your current I-20.  Late requests will jeopardize your lawful F-1 status in the U.S.

Change of Level Process

If you are a student changing a degree level, beginning a second master’s degree, or transferring to another school at Johns Hopkins University, you will need to review the information for change of level/intercampus transfer and submit the request through iHopkins.