Welcome Back Message from OIS
Happy New Year and welcome back to campus!
We hope you had an enjoyable winter break. As we enter 2024 and the start of spring semester, we are reaching out to share the top four critical reminders about OIS services and important things to keep in mind for maintaining your immigration status and having a smooth semester ahead.
Students in F-1 status must enroll full-time each term of study unless authorized by OIS for a Reduced Course Load (RCL). If you are not sure how many credits you need to be full-time, please check with your academic advisor or department, as this varies by program. Review F-1 enrollment requirements on our website. Some important things to keep in mind include:
- Students completing their JHU program in spring 2024 who will not enroll full-time in their final term need to submit an RCL request to OIS (in the iHopkins portal) by the start of the term.
- You may count only one online or hybrid course towards your full-time enrollment each term. However, if you only need one course in your final term, that course must be in-person.
DO YOU HAVE A QUESTION FOR OIS?
You can receive assistance from OIS in various ways:
2. Make requests on the iHopkins portal
Most requests and action items can be easily submitted by students through our portal: Https://ihopkins.jhu.edu/istart/controllers/start/StartEngine.cfm
3. Email us at email@example.com
If you cannot find an answer on our website or portal, or you wish to clarify your understanding of the website information and how it applies to your situation, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your inquiry so that advisors may properly review and research the issue prior to responding. You will receive a response within 2 business days.
4. Telephone Advising
Advisors are available by phone for general questions that can be answered in approximately 5-7 minutes. We cannot respond to eForm request status inquiries by phone. No appointment is needed; however, wait times may vary throughout the year. Example questions for phone advising include travel, on-campus employment, and work authorization eligibility.
Phone Advising Hours:
- Monday 1:00pm to 4:00pm ET
- Tuesday 1:00pm to 4:00pm ET
- Thursday 1:00pm to 4:00pm ET
- Friday 1:00pm to 4:00pm ET
5. Video Advising[NEW! Limited number of weekly appointments available starting January 23!]
For students with more complex questions such as a Leave of Absence, issues with OPT or CPT, a longer, 15-minute appointment can be booked at least 24 hours in advance:
Video Advising Hours:
- Tuesdays 9:00am to 12:00pm ET
- Thursdays 9:00am to 12:00pm ET
NOTE: This is intentionally a small pilot program for spring and summer 2024, with plans for expansion starting fall 2024!
TIMELY INFORMATION AND REMINDERS: READ THE OIS MONTHLY NEWSLETTER!
The OIS monthly newsletter will be emailed to all continuing students in F-1 and J-1 status next week, so stay tuned for more info! Please send an email to email@example.com if you do not receive the newsletter. For reference, you should have received the December edition by email on 12/7/23 from firstname.lastname@example.org.
OIS events are advertised multiple ways including in our monthly newsletter and on our website. Click here to see a list of OIS events for students this spring.
Best wishes for a rewarding and engaging spring semester!
Office of International Services
©2013-2024 The Johns Hopkins Office of International Services. All rights reserved. Baltimore, Maryland.