Skip Navigation

For Newly Admitted Degree-Seeking Students

Welcome to Hopkins! All international students admitted to eligible degree programs within the Johns Hopkins University schools will be issued an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for F-1 student status (unless the student is financially sponsored by a government or international organization that requires the student to be in J-1 status).  

How to Get Your Visa Document (I-20/DS-2019) from OIS:

  1. Accept your offer of admission to a JHU degree program and pay any required fees.
  2. Receive an email from the Office of International Services (OIS) with instructions on how to request your visa document.
    OIS typically begins sending these emails in mid-March or later for Summer and Fall admissions.
  3. Complete the New International Student Form via iHopkins (see below for a list of documents you’ll need).
  4. Pay for shipping of your document using the eShipGlobal Request form in iHopkins.
  5. An OIS advisor will review your request and issue your document.
    We aim to process requests within 10 business days of receiving the request, but it may take longer during peak times.
  6. You will receive an email confirming that your document has been issued and explaining the next steps you’ll need to take.

Preparing Your Documentation

In order to complete the New International Student Form in iHopkins (the OIS database system), you will need the following documents:

1. Passport – Your passport (and any dependent’s passports) should be valid at least six months into the future.  You will need to scan the biographical page(s) of your passport and those of your dependents for upload to iHopkins.

2. Financial Documentation - that meets or exceeds the Estimated Student Expenses for the first year of your degree program (see below).  For J-1 status, funding is required for the entire degree program.

Your financial documents must:

  • be in English, or a translation into English must be provided. If an unofficial translation is provided, please attach the Certification by Translator Form.
  • be current, issued within the past 3 months.
  • be accompanied by an affidavit of support if the bank account is not in your name.  The affidavit must come from the person who owns the bank account. 
  • be liquid assets, available for immediate withdrawal, if it shows personal or family funds.  Property, tax documents, income statements and personal credit cards/lines of credit are unacceptable. 

Examples of acceptable sources of funding:

  • Funding from Johns Hopkins
  • Personal funds
  • Family funds
  • Student loan
  • Funds from your home government
  • Other institutional funds such as the student’s current employer, scholarship awarding agencies, etc.
  • Any combination of the above


Examples of acceptable funding documents:

  • Bank statement showing account balance
  • Letter from a bank confirming the account balance OR that there are sufficient funds in the account to meet the estimated costs
  • Letter on sponsor letterhead (for government funding or other scholarships) stating amount of funding that will be provided
  • Letter on JHU letterhead (for funding you will receive from JHU)

3. Current Immigration Documentation - If you are currently in the U.S. in F-1 or J-1 status, provide a copy of your current I-20 or DS-2019, a fully completed Transfer-In Form and a copy of your current F-1/J-1 visa stamp, if applicable.

4. Dependent Information - if you will have dependents (spouse or children) accompanying you, you will complete the Dependent Request eForm which will ask for a copy of the biographical page(s) of your dependent(s) passport.  You may also be required to show additional funding.


Estimated International Student Expenses

This information is updated each year, around mid-March, once projected tuition rates and estimated expenses are made available.

  • These tuition & fees and living expenses are based on estimates for the upcoming academic year and are subject to change.
  • Estimated living expenses are based on the number of months in the academic calendar for each specific academic program.
  • For dependent spouses and children add $3,600 per dependent to your total expenses

Please select the school you will be attending to see that school’s costs:

Carey Business School


Krieger School of Arts & Sciences and Whiting School of Engineering 

Advanced Academic Programs

School of Education Programs


Bloomberg School of Public Health

School of Medicine

School of Nursing

       Peabody Institute