SEVIS (the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) is a Web-based database owned and operated by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. All international students and scholars in F-1 or J-1 status will have electronic records within the SEVIS database that their sponsoring institution is required to maintain. The SEVIS fee, also called the I-901 fee, is paid to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and goes towards the maintenance of the SEVIS database. All internationals beginning new programs in F-1 or J-1 status are required to pay the fee before going to their visa interview at the U.S. consulate. The fee is not typically refundable. Students and scholars transferring their F-1 or J-1 status to Johns Hopkins are not required to pay the SEVIS fee a second time. F-2 and J-2 dependents are not required to separately pay the fee. The SEVIS fee is not a Johns Hopkins University fee and no portion of the fee goes to the university.
The SEVIS fee is $350 for F-1 Students and $220 for J-1 Exchange Visitors.
For the most comprehensive information regarding SEVIS Fee payment please see the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement website. We strongly encourage you to pay the SEVIS fee online if possible. It may be paid by you or by someone else on your behalf either inside or outside of the U.S.
- Enter your name exactly as it appears on your I-20 or DS-2019.
- Enter the SEVIS ID number on your I-20 or DS-2019 (found in the upper right corner above the bar code) beginning with the letter "N".
- Know the appropriate School/Program Code. Use the table below to determine the correct School/Program code so that your SEVIS record is transferred appropriately.
|JHU Schools||SEVIS Program Code for F-1|
|Johns Hopkins University-Carey Business School||BAL214F00054000|
|Johns Hopkins University- Homewood Campus||BAL214F00051000|
|The Johns Hopkins University:Medical Institutions||BAL214F00005000|
|Johns Hopkins University-Peabody Institute||BAL214F00053000|
|Johns Hopkins University- School of Advanced International Studies||WAS214F00755000|
Methods of Payment
- Online: by completing a form I-901 with a Visa, MasterCard or American Express credit card at http://www.fmjfee.com. Print the online receipt after completing the payment form. Please note: citizens of or persons residing in Nigeria, Cameroon, Kenya or Ghana are not able to pay the SEVIS fee online.
- By Mail: by submitting a “Form I-901, Fee remittance for Certain F, J, and M Nonimmigrants”, together with a check or money order drawn on a U.S. bank and payable in U.S. currency. The mailing address is located on the Form I-901.
- Western Union Quick Pay: For detailed instructions on how to pay via Western Union please see the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement website.
For Further Questions
For frequently asked questions regarding the SEVIS fee, confirming payment, and customer service contact information please see the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement I-901 website