Skip Navigation

New Student Visa Request Process

International students who have been admitted to an eligible degree-seeking program will require F-1 or J-1 student visa sponsorship from the OIS unless they are already in a visa status that permits them to study. 

Students will be contacted by the Office of International Services (OIS) via email as soon as their SIS record indicates they have been admitted to a degree program.  

The student will log into iHopkins, complete a set of e-forms and upload their passport ID page and financial documents. Once the e-forms are complete, an OIS advisor will review them and create a visa document (I-20 or DS-2019) for the student. If the advisor needs additional information, the student will be contacted directly.

To be eligible for F-1 or J-1 student visa status, the student must demonstrate that he/she has sufficient funding to cover tuition and estimated living expenses. F-1 students must show sufficient funding to cover the first academic year of tuition and living expenses.  J-1 students must show sufficient funding to cover their entire degree program.

For more detailed information regarding this process, please refer to the page for New Students.

F-1 and J-1 Student Employment Eligibility

On-campus Employment

F-1 and J-1 students are eligible to work part-time (up to 20 hours per week) on campus during the academic year. During official school breaks such as Spring Break and Summer Break, they may work more than 20 hours per week.  F-1 students do not need authorization from OIS in order to work on campus.  J-1 students require prior OIS authorization in order to work on campus.

Off-campus Employment

To hire an F-1 or J-1 student who is not studying at JHU, the students will need to provide satisfactory proof of permission to work in the U.S.