This page contains travel-related information for Residents and Clinical Fellows at Johns Hopkins who are currently under J-1 immigration sponsorship of ECFMG.
DS-2019 Travel Validations for ECFMG Participants
Prior to traveling, J-1 ECFMG-sponsored residents and clinical fellows should:
- Ensure that any leave time is consistent with the leave policies of the Johns Hopkins department or program that is hosting them. General questions about Johns Hopkins leave policies and travel while in ECFMG status can be directed to J1ECFMG@jhmi.edu.
- Review the “Travel” section of the ECFMG website for information about immigration documents required for travel, instructions for visa renewal (if applicable) and other pertinent information here: EVSP: Travel (ecfmg.org).
- Review form DS-2019 form for travel validation [signature located in the box on the lower right side of Form DS-2019]. Travel endorsement is valid for one year, or until the expiration date of the DS-2019 form (whichever comes first).
- For individuals in possession of a travel-validated DS-2019 that has not yet expired, a new travel-validated DS-2019 is not required for each trip abroad. Only one signature is required in the travel validation box, even though there are two spaces for signatures.
- For individuals planning to travel abroad who do not have a current travel validation on their DS-2019 form, instructions for submitting a travel validation request through ECFMG are provided below:
- Fill out the Request for Duplicate Form DS-2019
- Email J1ECFMG@jhmi.edu to request a signature from the TPL
- Upload the form directly to OASIS and a Regional Advisor from ECFMG will create a new DS-2019 with travel validation signature. (Note that Johns Hopkins/OIS staff are not permitted to sign Form DS-2019s issued by ECFMG).
- ECFMG will process the request within seven to ten business days and send the Form DS-2019 to the physician or the Training Program Liaison (TPL) by regular U.S. mail, unless otherwise instructed. If the physician wishes to receive the travel-validated Form DS-2019 by courier service, she/he must submit a pre-addressed, pre-paid airbill printed from an on-line source and uploaded through OASIS as a separate document.