Welcome to Hopkins! The following information is intended to help you prepare for arrival on campus.
IMPORTANT-Review our COVID-19 Immigration-Related FAQs for the latest guidance for incoming J-1 Exchange Visitors under Faculty, Scholars, & Employees section.
After Receiving your Visa Document, Form DS-2019 make sure to follow these important steps:
- Review your form for accuracy.* Make sure to check the spelling of your name and date of birth.
- Sign your DS-2019.
- Pay the I-901 SEVIS fee and print a receipt. You must complete this step before you attend your visa interview, if applicable.
- Submit your application (DS-160) for a US visa to the US Consulate. Citizens of Canada and Bermuda are exempt from this requirement. We caution you about making a visa appointment until you receive your DS-2019 as we cannot be responsible if your document does not arrive in time for a pre-scheduled visa appointment.
- Verify that the information on the visa stamp is accurate before leaving the consulate or after receiving your visa in your passport (if returned by mail).
- Review information and tips for preparing for your arrival in the U.S.
- Keep your passport, DS-2019, and I-901 SEVIS fee paper receipt with you when you enter the US. Do NOT pack these items in checked luggage.
- Enter the US no more than 30 days before the program start date on your form. Notify your sponsoring department and OIS immediately if you expect to arrive later than the program start date or decide not to come to JHU. If you need to reach OIS in an emergency to address a US visa or border issue, you can call +1 667-208-7001 during office hours (Monday-Friday 8:30am – 4:30pm EDT) or +1-443-240-1938 when the office is closed.
- Review the Exchange Visitor Program Participant Welcome Brochure prepared by the U.S. Department State's website.
- Review recommended reading by the U.S. Department of State on Rights and Protections of Temporary Workers.
- Within ONE WEEK of entry to the US, complete the online Orientation and check-in eform through iHopkins (ihopkins.jhu.edu).
*Important note about the DS-2019 end date: The program end date on the form is always based on requested program dates by the department. If you complete your program before that end date, OIS will shorten the end date accordingly. Alternatively, if you need additional time to complete your program at JHU, you may be eligible to request an extension of your DS-2019.
For those preparing to join us at Johns Hopkins on a J-1 visa, please take a look at our J-1 Scholars Pre-Arrival Guide below. You may also refer to the University & Community Resources section on OIS website.