Information for participants requiring J-1 sponsorship
The information on this page is for individuals who have been admitted to Summer or Winter Institutes within The Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. The Office of International Services (OIS) provides J-1 visa sponsorship to participants who enroll in the full-time equivalent of 2 credits per week. Participants must apply to the institute(s) and enroll before visa sponsorship can be requested. The host department in the School of Public Health is responsible for initiating the J-1 sponsorship request. As part of this process, the institute participant will be given access to a set of electronic forms to complete.
The following documents need to be provided to the institute coordinator so that they can initiate a J-1 sponsorship request:
- copy of funding documents (see requirements below)
- documentation to fulfill the English Proficiency Requirement (if you do not have documentation to fulfill Options 1 or 3, your institute coordinator will contact you regarding an interview)
J-1 Request Process
The institute coordinator will initiate the J-1 sponsorship request and provide you with access to complete your portion of the request.
- You’ll receive an email from J1-Advising@jhu.edu containing a login ID and PIN for accessing iHopkins, the OIS online request system. Once you log in, you’ll see 3 e-forms.
- First complete and submit the Applicant Information Form.
- Then complete and submit the eShip Global Form.
- Once you submit this form, you’ll leave iHopkins and go to eShip Global’s website where you will set up and pay for the shipment of your visa document, Form DS-2019.
- After paying for the shipment, you must return to iHopkins to complete the Health Insurance Pledge, your final Form.
The institute coordinator will then complete your J-1 request and route it to the OIS where your DS-2019 will be created and sent to you within 10 business days.
REQUIRED funding documentation (to be provided to institute coordinator):
Participants must show proof of funding equal to $2000 per week to cover the cost of living expenses for the duration of their institute. Funding from Johns Hopkins should be noted in the letter of invitation. If personal funds will be used to support the participant's stay, a personal bank statement can be provided to show proof of the availability of funds. The bank statement must have the participant's name visible and should be dated within the last 3 months. If the funding comes from a family member, a letter from the funding sponsor noting the amount of the support and his/her account statement showing funds available to support the participant for the specified amount must also be attached. Documentation of funding from all other sources should be provided on institutional letterhead with the amount of funding and dates during which the funding will be available. If any documents are not in English, an official English translation must be attached. Translations using online services such as Google Translate will not be accepted. All foreign currency documentation must be converted to US dollars. Include documentation of the currency conversion (www.oanda.com is a useful site for this).
Shipment of DS-2019
As part of the E-form request process, participants will be directed to the eShip Global website to set up and pay for the shipping of your form DS-2019. eShip Global provides three options for the shipment: FedEx, DHL and UPS.
While in J-1 status, participants must maintain health insurance. Make sure to review the health insurance requirements prior to purchasing a health insurance plan.
Check In with the OIS
Upon arrival, participants are required to check in with the OIS. Check in is completed electronically and does not require a visit to the OIS. Participant's will receive check in instructions via email from the OIS thirty days before your DS-2019 start date. The check-in process should be completed within 24 hours of the start date of the institute.