Information for participants requiring J-1 sponsorship
The information on this page is for individuals who have been admitted to Summer or Winter Institutes within The Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (JHBSPH). The Office of International Services (OIS) provides J-1 visa sponsorship to participants who enroll in the full-time equivalent of 2 credits per week. Participants must apply directly to the institute(s) and enroll through the JHBSPH before visa sponsorship can be requested through OIS. Participants will work with a designated Institute Coordinator within the host department in the JHBSPH. The Institute Coordinator is responsible for initiating the J-1 sponsorship request and will give the institute participant access to a set of electronic forms to complete for J-1 visa sponsorship. Participants should contact their JHBSPH host department to initiate this process.
The following documents need to be provided to the institute coordinator so that they can initiate a J-1 sponsorship request:
- copy of funding documents (see requirements below)
- documentation to fulfill the English Proficiency Requirement (if you do not have documentation to fulfill Options 1 or 3, your institute coordinator will contact you regarding an interview)
J-1 Request Process
The institute coordinator will initiate the J-1 sponsorship request and provide you with access to complete your portion of the request.
- You’ll receive an email from J1-Advising@jhu.edu containing a login ID and PIN for accessing iHopkins, the OIS online request system. Once you log in, you’ll see 3 e-forms.
- First complete and submit the Applicant Information Form.
- Then complete and submit the eShipGlobal Shipment Request Form located under Document Shipment Request.
- Once you submit this form, you’ll leave iHopkins and go to eShipGlobal’s website where you will set up and pay for the shipment of your visa document, Form DS-2019.
- After paying for the shipment, you must return to iHopkins, access J-1 Exchange Visitor- Initial Form to complete the eShipGlobal Shipment Order Information and the Health Insurance Pledge Forms.
The institute coordinator will then complete your J-1 request and route it to the OIS where your DS-2019 will be created and sent to you within 10 business days.
REQUIRED funding documentation (to be provided to institute coordinator):
- Participants must show proof of funding equal to $2000 per week to cover the cost of living expenses for the duration of their institute.
- All funding should be dated within the last three months at the time it is submitted to OIS
- Funding from Johns Hopkins should be noted in the letter of invitation.
- Documentation of funding from all other sources should be provided on institutional letterhead with the amount of funding and dates during which the funding will be available.
- If personal funds will be used to support the participant's stay, a personal bank statement can be provided to show proof of the availability of funds. The bank statement must include the participant's name. If the bank statement comes from a family member, an affidavit of support must also be attached.
- English translation must be attached to any funding documents that are not in English. (Translations using online services such as Google Translate will not be accepted.)
- All foreign currency documentation must be converted to US dollars. If an unofficial translation is provided, attach the Certification by Translator Form. Include documentation of the currency conversion (www.oanda.com is a useful site for this).
Shipment of DS-2019
As part of the E-form request process, participants will be directed to the eShipGlobal website to set up and pay for the shipping of your form DS-2019. eShipGlobal provides three options for the shipment: FedEx, DHL and UPS.
While in J-1 status, participants must maintain health insurance. Make sure to review the health insurance requirements prior to purchasing a health insurance plan.
Check In with the OIS
Upon arrival, participants are required to check in with the OIS. Check in is completed electronically and does not require a visit to the OIS. Participant's will receive check in instructions via email from the OIS thirty days before your DS-2019 start date. The check-in process should be completed within 24 hours of the start date of the institute.
FAQs for International JHSPH Institute Participants
If you will be attending the Institute in J-1 status and plan to travel abroad and re-enter the U.S. during the Institutes will need to obtain a travel signature on your DS-2019.
To request travel signature:
- Go to iHopkins: http://ihopkins.jhu.edu/
- Click login under “Students/Scholars/Int’l Employees with Active JHED ID”
- Click “J-1 Scholar Services” in the menu to the left
- Submit the "Travel Signature/DS-2019 Reprint Form"
If you will not depart the U.S. until the end date on your DS-2019 or during your grace period, you will not need a travel signature.
Note: International travel [with plans to return to the U.S. in J-1 status] is not permitted during the 30-day grace period after the end date on your DS-2019.
Information for Department Coordinators
Cut-Off dates for Summer Institute J-1 Requests