The J-1 Exchange Visitor Program allows participants to transfer between two J-1 programs (i.e. two different universities or research institutions), as well as within JHU to a new department/school. The process outlined below is for J-1 Scholars who are transferring their J-1 from Johns Hopkins University to another school/institution OR who are transferring between schools/departments within Johns Hopkins. There are specific steps that must be followed, as well as general criteria that must be met when determining a J-1 Exchange Visitor’s (EV) eligibility for transfer as follows:
- J-1 EV must maintain J-1 status as well as a consistent J-1 program objective throughout the transfer process.
- Transfer must occur within the maximum duration of participation allowed by the specific J-1 category and transfer may only occur within the same J-1 category (i.e. J-1 Research Scholar to J-1 Research Scholar).
- Transfer must occur while J-1 program is in “Active” status. Transfers are not possible during J-1 grace period or after the J-1 program has already ended.
- An EV who has initiated a waiver application of the 212(e) requirement through the U.S. Department of State should contact a J-1 advisor in the OIS to determine possible impact on transfer eligibility.
- An EV who is deemed ineligible for transfer for any reason may not be transferred.
Additional steps and criteria are outlined in the process for each type of transfer below:
Transfer-Out (from JHU to another J-1 Program Sponsor)
J-1 EVs who intend to transfer from JHU to another J-1 program sponsor should first review the general eligibility criteria above and contact OIS with any questions. To initiate the Transfer-Out to a new J-1 program sponsor, the following steps must be completed at least two weeks prior to intended date of transfer.
Receive an offer from new J-1 Program Sponsor
- Determine date of transfer (last day of employment at JHU must be one day prior to start date at new Program Sponsor).
- EV must request SEVIS Program Number from new J-1 Program Sponsor’s International Office.
- EV should complete any required transfer-in paperwork the new Program Sponsor may require (if applicable).
Receive clearance for transfer out from JHU
- JHU Transfer-Out Departmental Confirmation Form to be completed by EV and JHU Department.
- EV must submit Transfer-Out eForm through iHopkins.
- Go to http://ihopkins.jhu.edu
- Click "Login" under "Active JHED Login."
- Login with your JHED ID and password.
- Once logged in, click "J-1 Scholar Services" from the menu on the left, then click J-1 Transfer Out Form" to complete/submit the eForm.
- You will be required to upload Transfer-Out Departmental Confirmation form to iHopkins.
- Optional: Transfer-in form from your New J-1 Program Sponsor.
*Please email email@example.com for any iHopkins login or eForm issues.
The EV must maintain J-1 status throughout the transfer process including valid health insurance. The new institution will not have access to the EV’s J-1 record and cannot issue a new DS-2019 form until the date of transfer. After the date of transfer, JHU will no longer have access to the EV’s J-1 record and cannot provide further immigration guidance.
Interdepartmental Transfer (between JHU Departments/Schools)
J-1 EVs who intend to transfer internally from one JHU department to another JHU department should first review the general eligibility criteria above and contact OIS with any questions. To initiate the transfer to a new JHU department, the following steps must be completed at least three to four weeks prior to intended date of transfer.
Receive an offer from new JHU Department
- Departmental Admin with NEW JHU Department must initiate an Extension/ Amendment request for the EV’s record in iHopkins.
- “Interdepartmental Transfer” should be selected on both the Program Information eForm (Department) and Applicant Information eForm (EV).
- Determine date of transfer (last day with current JHU department must be one day prior to start date with new department).
Receive clearance for Interdepartmental Transfer
- J-1 EV is responsible for coordinating the completion of Interdepartmental Transfer Form, including sections to be completed by current JHU department and NEW JHU department.
- NEW Department must upload Interdepartmental Transfer Form as a required document for Extension/Amendment request.
The J-1 EV must maintain J-1 status throughout the transfer process. This requires that the EV maintains a valid appointment with the current JHU department until the day before transfer to the new JHU department. The appointment with the NEW JHU Department may not begin until OIS has approved the Interdepartmental Transfer and issued a new DS-2019 for the EV. Valid funding and health insurance must be maintained throughout the transfer process.