Skip Navigation

J-2 Dependent Family Members

If you are or will be in J-1 status, your legally married spouse and dependent children under age 21 may be eligible for J-2 status to accompany you or follow you separately to the U.S. To request a Certificate of Eligibility DS-2019 for the purpose of inviting family in J-2 status, please complete the Dependent Request eForm and submit it along with the required documents in iHopkins. A new DS-2019 form will be prepared for each of your family members. Funding documentation of $300 per month, per dependent, and funding to cover the estimated cost of health insurance may be required based on your current funding situation. Please use the worksheet to calculate the minimum funding you must demonstrate to request a J-2 DS-2019 for your dependent. Contact the OIS for more information.

To  Add a Dependent to your SEVIS record

  1. Gather acceptable documentation for financial support that meets or exceeds the minimum required funding discussed above. Use the worksheet to calculate the total minimum funding you may have to show
  2. Legible scanned copies of the passport id page for each dependent
  3. Submit the above to the OIS via iHopkins in a timely manner 

       To submit your J-2 Dependent Request:

  • Go to
  • Click "Login" under "Active JHED Login"
  • Login with your JHED ID and password.
  • Once logged in, click on "J-1 Scholar Services" in the menu on the left, then click on "J-2 Dependent Request (Add Spouse/Children)" e-Form. Submit an e-Form for each dependent you are requesting J-2 status for.
  • You will be required to upload all the documents as one PDF file

*Please email for any iHopkins login or eForm issues

J-2 Reporting Obligations

  • Individuals in J-2 status are required to provide the OIS with their email address.  
  • If a J-2 departs the U.S. before the J-1, the OIS must be notified in writing so that we can update the J-2 SEVIS record.  Notify the OIS by email: 

J-2 Work Authorization

J-2 work permits are obtained from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) through an application process that usually takes 3-4 months to complete. Employment may not begin until the J-2 has received the work permit, called the Employment Authorization Document (EAD).

J-2 work permits allow the holder to work in any job, full-time or part-time, but employment may not extend beyond the end date on the EAD. Extension of work permits is possible, up to the end date of the form DS-2019. Please note that the extension process also takes 3-4 months, so plan ahead if you want your employment to be continuous (without any gaps between work authorization periods).

EAD Application Process

To apply for an EAD, mail the items listed below to the USCIS. Be sure to keep photocopies of the entire packet for your records. You can download a pdf of J-2 Work Authorization Application Instructions.

  • $410 application fee. Your fee must be the correct amount or your application will be returned. Check or money orders must be made payable to “U.S. Department of Homeland Security.” A name and an address must be printed on the check; temporary checks are not allowed. See the USCIS website for instructions on how to write a check.
  • I-765 Form Complete the form and don’t forget to sign at the bottom. The code for question 27 is "(C)(5)( )”.
  • Photocopy only of both the J-1’s and J-2’s DS-2019 forms
  • Photocopy of Passport Biographical Page (including the passport expiration)
  • Photocopy of most recent I-94 document
  • Brief letter explaining that the work permission is not to support the J-1


If you have questions about J-2 Exchange Visitor status, please contact the OIS at