The J-1 Exchange Visitor Program allows participants to transfer between two J-1 programs (i.e two different universities or research institutions), as well as within JHU to a new department/school. There are specific steps that must be followed, as well as general criteria that must be met when determining a J-1 Exchange Visitor’s (EV) eligibility for transfer as follows:
- J-1 EV must maintain J-1 status as well as a consistent J-1 program objective throughout the transfer process.
- Transfer must occur within the maximum duration of participation allowed by the specific J-1 category and transfer may only occur within the same J-1 category (i.e. J-1 Research Scholar to J-1 Research Scholar).
- Transfer must occur while J-1 program is in “Active” status. Transfers are not possible during J-1 grace period or after the J-1 program has already ended.
- An EV who has initiated a waiver application of the 212(e) requirement through the U.S. Department of State should contact a J-1 advisor in the OIS to determine possible impact on transfer eligibility.
- An EV who is deemed ineligible for transfer for any reason may not be transferred.
Additional steps and criteria are outlined in the process for each type of transfer below:
Transfer-In (from another J-1 Program Sponsor to JHU)
A J-1 EV who intends to transfer from another J-1 program sponsor to JHU should first review the general eligibility criteria above and contact OIS with any questions. OIS will evaluate a fully submitted request for Transfer-In to make a final determination on transfer-eligibility. To initiate the Transfer-In to JHU, the following steps must be completed in advance of the expected JHU start date.
Receive an offer from JHU (at least two months prior to JHU start date)
- EV must work with JHU department to determine appropriate start date.
- JHU Department will provide EV with access to iHopkins to complete J-1 request forms.
- After all J-1 request forms have been fully submitted, OIS will review the request in iHopkins.
- If general transfer eligibility requirements are met, OIS will provide the EV with a Transfer-In form, which must be completed by the current J-1 program sponsor.
Receive Clearance from Current J-1 Program Sponsor (at least two weeks prior to JHU start date)
- EV must notify current J-1 program sponsor of their intent to transfer as soon as possible and inquire about any transfer-clearance paperwork they may require.
- The current J-1 program sponsor must complete the JHU Transfer-In form (*EV will be provided with this form after OIS receives all required iHopkins eforms from the EV and the JHU Department).
- If current J-1 program sponsor agrees to the Transfer Out, they will schedule the release of the EV’s J-1 record to JHU on the agreed upon JHU start date. The date of transfer should be the same day as the appointment start date at JHU.
*JHU will not have access to the EV’s J-1 record and cannot issue a new DS-2019 form until the date of transfer. After the date of transfer, the EV’s current program sponsor will no longer have access to their J-1 record and JHU will become the J-1 program sponsor.
Transfer-Out (from JHU to another J-1 Program Sponsor)
J-1 EV’s who intend to transfer from JHU to another J-1 program sponsor should first review the general eligibility criteria above and contact OIS with any questions. To initiate the Transfer-Out to a new J-1 program sponsor, the following steps must be completed at least two weeks prior to intended date of transfer.
Receive an offer from new J-1 Program Sponsor
- Determine date of transfer (last day of employment at JHU must be one day prior to start date at new Program Sponsor).
- EV must request SEVIS Program Number from new J-1 Program Sponsor’s International Office.
- EV should complete any required transfer-in paperwork the new Program Sponsor may require (if applicable).
Receive clearance for transfer out from JHU
- JHU Transfer-Out Departmental Confirmation Form to be completed by EV and JHU Department.
- EV must submit Transfer-Out eForm through iHopkins.
- Go to http://ihopkins.jhu.edu
- Click "Login" under "Active JHED Login."
- Login with your JHED ID and password.
- Once logged in, click "J-1 Scholar Services" from the menu on the left, then click J-1 Transfer Out Form" to complete/submit the eForm.
- You will be required to upload Transfer-Out Departmental Confirmation form to iHopkins.
- Optional: Transfer-in form from your New J-1 Program Sponsor.
*Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for any iHopkins login or eForm issues.
The EV must maintain J-1 status throughout the transfer process including valid health insurance. The new institution will not have access to the EV’s J-1 record and cannot issue a new DS-2019 form until the date of transfer. After the date of transfer, JHU will no longer have access to the EV’s J-1 record and cannot provide further immigration guidance.
Interdepartmental Transfer (between JHU Departments/Schools)
J-1 EV’s who intend to transfer internally from one JHU department to another JHU department should first review the general eligibility criteria above and contact OIS with any questions. To initiate the transfer to a new JHU department, the following steps must be completed at least three to four weeks prior to intended date of transfer.
Receive an offer from new JHU Department
- Departmental Admin with NEW JHU Department must initiate an Extension/ Amendment request for the EV’s record in iHopkins.
- “Interdepartmental Transfer” should be selected on both the Program Information eForm (Department) and Applicant Information eForm (EV).
- Determine date of transfer (last day with current JHU department must be one day prior to start date with new department).
Receive clearance for Interdepartmental Transfer
The J-1 EV must maintain J-1 status throughout the transfer process. This requires that the EV maintains a valid appointment with the current JHU department until the day before transfer to the new JHU department. The appointment with the NEW JHU Department may not begin until OIS has approved the Interdepartmental Transfer and issued a new DS-2019 for the EV. Valid funding and health insurance must be maintained throughout the transfer process.