Skip Navigation

For Newly Admitted Degree-Seeking Students

Welcome to Hopkins! All international students admitted to eligible degree programs within the Johns Hopkins University Schools will be issued I-20 Certificates of Eligibility for F-1 student status unless the student is financially sponsored by a government or international organization that requires the student to be in J-1 status. For more information, please take a look at our student pre-arrival guide.

Obtaining Your I-20 from OIS

Upon receiving confirmation of your admission to your degree program and your acceptance of the offer of admission the Office of International Services (OIS) will receive electronic notification. At that point we will reach out and contact you via email with specific instructions on how you can login and access our international student database "iHopkins" and request your Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 for F-1 students or DS-2019 for J-1 students) from the OIS. This I-20 or DS-2019, along with the necessary supporting documentation is what you will need to take to the U.S. Consulate in order to obtain your U.S. visa stamp for entry to the U.S. Typically we begin contacting newly admitted students in mid-March or later.

Students who are currently in the U.S. in F-1 status will need to request a transfer of their F-1 record to Johns Hopkins University.  Please work with your current F-1 advisor to complete our Transfer In form.

Preparing Your Documentation

In order to complete the New Student Request Form in our iHopkins system, you will need the following documents.

1. Passport, valid at least six months into the future of you and your dependent family members who will be coming with you to the U.S. You will need to scan the biographical page of your passport for upload as well as those of your dependents coming with you.

2. Current I-20/DS-2019 if you are currently attending another school within the U.S. 

3. Financial Documentation in the amount of tuition and fees for the first year of your degree program. This documentation must be in English or a translation into English must be provided.  If an unofficial translation is provided, please attach the Certification by Translator Form. The documentation must be current, within the past 3 months, and if the bank account does not have your name on it, you must provide an affidavit of support from the individual whose name the documentation is in stating that they intend to provide support for you for tuition, fees, and living expenses during your program at Johns Hopkins.  Acceptable sources of funding are as follows:

  • Funding from Johns Hopkins
  • Personal Funds
  • Family Funds
  • Funds from your Home Government
  • Other Sources


Estimated International Student Expenses

This information is updated each year once projected tuition rates and estimated expenses are made available which is typically in mid-March.

  • These Tuition & Fees and Living Expenses are based on estimates for the upcoming Academic Year and are subject to change.
  • Living Expenses are based on the number of months in the Academic Calendar for each specific Academic Program.
  • For Dependent Spouses and Children add $3,600 per dependent to your total expenses

Please select your admitting school/campus to see pertinent costs:

Carey Business School


Krieger School of Arts & Sciences and Whiting School of Engineering 

Advanced Academic Programs

School of Education Programs


Bloomberg School of Public Health

School of Medicine

School of Nursing

       Peabody Institute