Steps To Transfer Your SEVIS Record
F-1 Students planning to transfer from Johns Hopkins University to another school in the U.S. must have their SEVIS record transferred to the new school in a timely manner in order to maintain your valid immigration status:
- Obtain admission to the new school
- Complete the Transfer Out Request Form and attach a copy of your admission letter or proof of admission to your new school and submit them to the OIS. Some admitting schools may also have their own "Transfer In" or "Transfer Verification" form. Your SEVIS record must be released no later than 60 days after the last day of your last registered term at Johns Hopkins. The OIS will release your record through SEVIS to the new school on the last day of the current term (if you are enrolled in the current term).
- Submit all to the OIS in a timely manner. To submit your Transfer Out request:
- Go to http://ihopkins.jhu.edu
- Click on the blue Login button under Full Client Services for Students & Scholars
- Login with your JHED ID and password
- Once logged in, click on "F-1 Student Services" in the menu on the left, then click on "Submit a Request."
- You will be required to upload the form and proof of admission to new school as one PDF file
- Upon the SEVIS release date, the new school will have access to your record and will be able to issue a new I-20 for transfer. The I-20 from Johns Hopkins will no longer be valid.
- Complete the transfer process at the new school. The transfer must be completed no later than 15 days from the start date on the new school I-20. Contact the new school’s International Student office regarding the transfer completion process at that school.
Students may apply to many schools, but the SEVIS record can only be transferred to one school. Once the record is transferred out from Johns Hopkins to the new school, it cannot be changed after the release date. Therefore, before requesting a release, you should decide which school you will attend. The SEVIS record must be released no later than 60 days after the last day of your last registered term. If the time period between the end of your enrollment at Johns Hopkins and the start date of the program at the new school will be more than five months, please meet with an adviser in the OIS.
Transfer While on OPT
If you are currently on OPT and you need to transfer your SEVIS record to a new school, please contact the OIS to discuss the appropriate timing of your SEVIS Release Date.