Skip Navigation

Employment with International Organizations 


Rules and Procedures

F-1students are allowed to obtain internships or employment with certain international organizations listed in the International Organization Immunities Act [59 Stat. 669].  This category of work authorization applies only to positions with one of these organizations.  Click here for an alphabetical listing of the international organizations.


Student Eligibility Requirements

  • The student must be in good academic standing.

  • The student is eligible to apply right away after he/she is in F-1 status and before completion of degree program. There is no nine month waiting period required.

  • The employment or internship must be with one of organizations on the approved list. A written offer letter or a contract with details of employment/internship printed on a letterhead is required.

  • The student must maintain lawful F-1 status including enrolling in a full course load each semester.

  • The employment/internship does not have to be related to the course of study.

  • The use of this employment authorization does not affect eligibility for optional practical training (OPT).

  • During the academic semester, the student is able to work up to 20 hours per week.

  • The student must apply for an employment authorization card (EAD) from USCIS and must receive an EAD before employment begins. The student is allowed to work during the period listed on the EAD.

Documentation and Application Process

You may bring the completed application forms and all supporting materials to an OIS location for review and to receive your I-20 endorsed by an advisor. We highly recommend that you schedule an appointment in advance to meet with an OIS advisor. Please be aware that all students on JHMI’s I-20s (SOM/SPH/SON) must make an appointment with an advisor at the OIS at Medical Institutions location for services; students on Homewood, Carey, Peabody or SAIS I-20s may visit any of the other OIS locations for services.

Prepare and submit all the following documents to USCIS:

  • Form I-765 completed and signed by the student.  The code for # 16 is (C) (3) (ii). Do not forget to sign this application.

  • Form G-1145, for email notification that your application has been received.  

  • 2 Passport-style photographs that meet USCIS specifications.

  • Copy of your current Form I-94 Arrival/Departure Record (available online at www.cbp.gpv/i94)

  • Copy of page 1 and 2 of the I-20 prepared by OIS that has your employment authorization recommendation

  • Copies of page 1 and 3 of ALL Form I-20s (old version) that have been issued to you by ALL SCHOOLS PREVIOUSLY ATTENED

  • Copy of your current unexpired passport ID page and visa page.

  • A check or money order in the amount of $410 made payable to “U.S. Department of Homeland Security” (to view a sample check please search the USCIS website for “ Paying Immigration Fees” or click here)

  • A copy of a written offer letter or a contract with details of employment/internship printed on a letterhead from a qualified international organization 

Send application to the appropriate USCIS office, based upon the address used on the I-765. Be careful that the address you use on I-765 is one that at which you may receive mail. You are advised to make a copy of your entire application.