Skip Navigation

On-Campus Employment

F-1 students are permitted to work up to 20 hours per week on the campus while school is in session and full-time in the summer (if summer is a vacation term for your academic program) and during recognized vacation periods like Winter Break.  No special work permission is needed to begin employment.  Acceptable on-campus employment includes:

  • any campus of the Johns Hopkins University, including Carey, Homewood, any of the school in JHMI, Peabody, and SAIS.  If you are being paid by Johns Hopkins University, that would be considered on-campus employment;  
  • work required by a scholarship, assistantship or fellowship, work in the library, computer centers, administrative offices, and work performed on Hopkins’ premises for an outside contractor or firm as long as the employer provides direct services to students (i.e., the university bookstore, cafeteria, etc.), or where there are contractually funded research projects at the post-graduate level;

Students should speak with their OIS advisor before they engage in any employment with these other entities to determine whether these provisions may apply to them.

If you would like to continue your employment with your Johns Hopkins on-campus/departmental employer after you complete your academic program, you will need to seek employment permission through Optional Practical Training (OPT).

On-Campus Employment at an off-Campus Location

USCIS has expanded the definition of on-campus employment to include jobs with employers that are educationally affiliated with Johns Hopkins University, provided that the job is associated with Johns Hopkins’ curriculum or related to contractually funded research projects and provided that the job is an integral part of students' academic programs (For example, research work at a Hopkins affiliate may be acceptable). Final permission is granted by an advisor at the OIS.