Skip Navigation

The J-1 Exchange Visitor visa is meant to facilitate international exchange between the U.S. and other countries.  The J-1 category of Non-degree Student is used to sponsor individuals who have received an invitation from a JHU faculty member and are admitted to a JHU school as a visiting student.  This includes designations of Visiting Undergraduate Student, Visiting Graduate Student, Visiting Graduate Scholar and Exchange Student.  Acceptable activities in the J-1 Non-degree Student category include coursework, research or a combination of the two undertaken by an individual who is a full-time degree seeking student at an institution of higher education abroad.  The J-1 Non-degree Student category has a minimum duration of three weeks and a maximum of two years.  If a specific situation requires a shorter or longer duration of J-1 visiting student sponsorship, please contact the OIS to see if other options exist.  

Admission and Enrollment Requirements

All J-1 visiting students must secure a letter of agreement from a JHU faculty host and gain admission to a JHU school as a visiting student.  Please contact Undergraduate or Graduate Admissions for questions about the admissions process for Visiting and Exchange Students on the Homewood campus. 

J-1 visiting students are required to enroll full-time in either coursework or research credits each term.  The start and end dates of J-1 sponsorship must fall within term dates.  

Requesting J-1 Visiting Student Sponsorship

J-1 sponsorship requests must be initiated by the host department AFTER the student has been admitted.  Please make sure to review the process flow chart and contact the OIS if you have any questions before proceeding.  When requesting J-1 sponsorship, it is important to pick a start date that will allow time for visa processing and travel.  While there are many variables to consider and visa processing times can vary greatly, we recommend allowing at least 90 days from the date the student is admitted in SIS to the date the student is expected to start their program at JHU.  If an unrealistic start date is requested, the OIS will amend the date and inform the department.

The request is completed via an electronic process in iHopkins.  Host department staff initiating a request must have attended a Visiting Student training and been granted access to the iHopkins system.  Additional resources and the letter of agreement template can be found in the JHBox. The host department will need to upload the following items to the J-1 visiting student request:

  • Letter of Agreement from Faculty host that follows required template.  If JHU funding will be provided, this letter must indicate the amount of funding
  • Documentation to fulfill the English Language Proficiency requirement.  


Funding Requirements

The J-1 visiting student must demonstrate at least than $2,000/month for individual living expenses by uploading documentation to their request form in iHopkins.  Funding may be in the form of JHU funding, funding from outside organizations, government funding, or personal funds. 

If JHU is providing funding, the amount should be stated in the letter of agreement.   If personal funds will be used to support the J-1 visiting student's stay, a personal bank statement can be provided to show proof of the availability of funds. The bank statement must have the student's name visible and should be dated within the last 3 months. If the funding comes from a family member, an affidavit of support must also be attached. Documentation of funding from all other sources should be provided on institutional letterhead with the amount of funding and dates during which the funding will be available. If any documents are not in English, an official English translation must be attached.  If an unofficial translation is provided, attach the Certification by Translator FormTranslations using online services such as Google Translate will not be accepted. All foreign currency documentation must be converted to US dollars. Include documentation of the currency conversion ( is a useful site for this).

Health Insurance

J-1 Exchange Visitors and their J-2 dependents are required to carry health insurance for the duration of their J-1 program that meets the minimum requirements as mandated by the US Department of State

Visiting students in the following schools must purchase the JHU Student Insurance coverage and will be automatically billed for coverage: Krieger School of Arts and Sciences; Whiting School of Engineering; Peabody Institute. Waivers will not be allowed for any outside insurance coverage if you are a visiting student in these schools.  For additional information regarding the University Health Insurance plan please contact the Registrar's OfficeThe OIS cannot assist with any health insurance related questions.

J-2 Dependents do not have to purchase the University's Health Insurance Plan, but they must have health insurance coverage that meets the minimum Department of State requirements throughout the duration of their stay in the US.


J-1 Extension Request for Visiting Students

If a visiting student requires additional time to complete research or coursework, the student must submit a J-1 extension request to the OIS no later than 30 days in advance of the current DS-2019 end date.  Visiting Students in the J-1 Non-degree category are limited to 24 months of participation in their program.  

To Apply For an Extension

  1. Obtain an updated Letter of Agreement from the faculty host that includes the dates of the extension request.  
  2. Complete the Health Insurance Pledge.
  3. Gather documentation of financial support based on Funding Requirements above.
  4. Obtain your most recent form I-94 arrival /departure form.  To obtain the I-94, visit the Customs and Border Protection Website
  5. Submit the Letter of Agreement, Health Insurance Pledge, financial documents and I-94 to the OIS. To submit your extension request:
  • Go to
  • Click on the blue Login button under "Students/Scholars/Int'l Employees with Active JHED ID."
  • Login with your JHED ID and password.
  • Once logged in, click on "J-1 Student Services" in the menu on the left, then click on "Submit a Request."
  • You will be required to upload all the documents as one PDF file.