Skip Navigation

For New Scholars

Welcome to Hopkins!  Once a department or faculty member at JHMI has decided they would like to sponsor you for a visa to come to Hopkins, the administrative staff in your department will work with the OIS to begin the process of selecting the appropriate visa for sponsorship and completing the necessary documentation.

Certain positions require sponsorship for an H-1B visa, while for other positions and appointment titles a J-1 visa is the recommended visa type.  Final decision authority on the specific visa type you will be sponsored for rests with the OIS.


For those preparing to join us at Johns Hopkins on a J-1 visa, please take a look at our J-1 Scholars Pre-Arrival Guide: