Skip Navigation

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is a type of off-campus work permission available to certain eligible F-1 students. CPT is described by USCIS as employment which is “an integral part of an established curriculum.” CPT is not to be used merely to facilitate employment for the international student.


  1. A student is in good academic standing.
  2. A student must be in valid F-1 status for at least one academic year before he/she is eligible for CPT (an exception to the one academic year requirement exists for students in graduate programs that require immediate participation in a practical training experience).
  3. A student has not completed the degree program.
  4. Students must secure a job offer related to their field of study
  5. And students must receive authorization for CPT prior to beginning their practical training experience.

Types of CPT

1. Practical Training Degree Requirement

If practical training is a requirement of a degree program (i.e. all students in the program must complete practical training to satisfy degree requirements), CPT may be authorized. Authorization can be for full-time or part-time employment based on the department’s requirement. This type of CPT does not require proof of enrollment (your program may have a registration requirement for other purposes). Students should contact their academic programs to verify if their program has required practical training component.

2. Practical Training for Course Credit

CPT may be authorized if the student will receive course credit for the practical training. Students must be concurrently enrolled in a course for the duration of the employment. The specific course registration will depend upon the school and program in which the student is enrolled. The course must appear on the student's transcript. Student must maintain full time course enrollment if the CPT takes place during fall or spring. Exceptions to the enrollment requirement can be made for CPT that is authorized during a school break (excluding summer break) where the student receives credit for the practical training in the term before or after it takes place. Authorization can only be made for part-time CPT during academic terms. If the practical training takes place during the summer, students must be enrolled in a course for the summer term and can be authorized for full-time CPT.

Doctoral students who have completed all course work and are working on their thesis and dissertation may receive permission for full time CPT during a fall or spring term if the work experience is clearly documented as necessary for completion of the thesis/dissertation, due to access to specific equipment, data, or processes; or is part of an established program for full time CPT that has been approved as appropriated by the OIS. Students should contact their campus specific OIS to discuss this option.

Full-Time vs. Part-Time CPT

Employment is limited to Part-time (20 hours per week or less) during the academic year. Students may engage in Full-time CPT (anything more than 20 hours per week) during recognized school breaks or if Full-time CPT during the academic year is a program requirement.

CPT Limits

There is no limitation on the length of time you may participate in full-time or part-time CPT. However, if you participate in full-time CPT for 12 months or more, you will not be eligible for Optional Practical Training (OPT). Accrual of part-time CPT does not impact eligibility for OPT.

Required Documents

  1. CPT Request form completed and signed by your advisor
  2. Letter of employment: must include employment start and end dates, number of hours worked per week, name and address of workplace, job title, and job description.
Application Process for Carey, Peabody and SAIS students
Application Process for all other students

Complete the CPT Request Form

  1. Get the necessary Advisor Signature and letter of employment. 
  2. Submit all to the OIS in timely manner. OIS will process your request within 10 business days. To submit your CPT request:
  • Go to
  • Click on the blue Login button under Full Client Services for Students & Scholars.
  • Login with your JHED ID and password.
  • Once logged in, click on "F-1 Student Services" in the menu on the left, then click on "Submit a Request."
  • You will be required to upload all the documents as one PDF file.


Requests for CPT should be submitted at least 15 days prior to the employment start date.  Authorization will not be granted for work that has started before submitting this form.

CPT Extensions:

For an extension of CPT you must submit the entire CPT Request again to the OIS about 2-3 weeks prior to the CPT expiration date.