In February 2017, an electronic J-1 request process was implemented.
Contact J1-Scholars@jhmi.edu to register for J-1 e-form training.
Before requesting sponsorship for a J-1 Exchange Visitor, please review the requirements of the J-1 Scholar Program to determine if it is the appropriate status for the planned activities and if the International Visitor is qualified for J-1 Exchange Visitor Sponsorship. If you are still unsure if the J-1 is the appropriate status, contact the OIS.
The J-1 requires the coordinated actions of: the Exchange Visitor, University Offices, and government agencies. There are parts of the process that are beyond the control of the University. Sufficient time for processing is critical to successfully inviting an Exchange Visitor. Please review the timeline for inviting J1 scholars before deciding on a start date. Completed J-1 requests should be submitted to the OIS at least 2 months before the projected start date of the Exchange Visitor. OIS will not create a DS-2019 with a start date that less than one month from the date of DS-2019 creation. If we are unable to accommodate the requested start date, we will notify the administrative contact of the amended date.
The J-1 Request Process
The OIS implemented a new electronic J-1 process on February 6, 2017. This process will allow sponsoring Departments and J-1 applicants to submit all forms through iHopkins, the central database used by the OIS to process J-1 applications. Department Administrators must participate in training before being granted access to iHopkins. Please contact an advisor at email@example.com if you have questions about the request process.
Benefits of the Electronic Process:
- Ability to manage your case load and monitor the status of cases via iHopkins.
- Conditional questions allow Department user to only see questions needed for their specific request.
- Ability to submit all required forms via iHopkins.
- Reduces data entry errors because OIS is able to transfer info from e-forms directly into scholar record.
- E-forms can be accessed on any device that has an internet connection. Faculty can sign off on request from anywhere.
- The OIS will only accept J-1 requests submitted via iHopkins after February 27, 2017.
- All J-1 requests will be handled by the OIS@JHMI.* J-1 advising will continue to be available at Homewood and SAIS.
- Individuals who are responsible for processing J-1 requests must participate in Mandatory Training. Individuals who have not attended a training session will not be granted access to iHopkins, and thus, not able to initiate a J-1 request.
- Resources for individuals who have attended the mandatory training can be found in JHBox.
*Visiting Undergraduate and Graduate students in KSAS and WSE will work directly with the Undergraduate Admissions Office, Graduate Admission Office or Study Abroad Office to submit their application and work directly with the OIS@Homewood to request their DS-2019 forms.
Upcoming Training Sessions
- Training is offered the second Thursday of every month from 9:30 - 11:00 in the first floor conference room of Reed Hall.
- Attendees are asked to email the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Last Name
- First Name
- E-mail Address
If you have questions about sponsorship of a J-1 Exchange Visitor, please contact the OIS at email@example.com.